Monday, April 12, 2010

This Weekend

From OmNom


My whole dorm room is on a diet.

From OmNom


There was some kind of party for international students on friday, and my Taiwanese roomie Antonia asked me to help her bake a cake like the blackberry one I made for Romina. She told me she wanted to add banana to it, so we mashed up some banana and put it into the cake batter. I used the same recipe as Romina's cake though. Inbetween the layers is a caramelized walnut mixed with a buttercream glaze and mushed up bananas. On top are those same candied walnuts, all cooled and hardened and two banana slices. Everyone was drooling in my dorm. We ate a big bowl of salad while staring at it... it almost felt like a weird ritualistic cult-ish meal. We didn't get to try it, but apparently it was a big hit.

From OmNom


Meanwhile I've been making soups and salads non-stop. This is a chicken broth based soup. It has shrimp, broccoli, carrots, chicken, onion, garlic, mushrooms, blackbeans and potato in it. It's my mission to make our diet delicious.

From OmNom


I made this for Jesse last night. It's a braised steak with a sherry-mushroom sauce. The asparagus has a peanut-curry sauce on top. Not exactly low-fat, but at least high-protein... for him! I'm trying to balance good fats with bad fats, so that's where the nuts come in. We also got two avocados that'll turn into guacamole sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment