Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A little history

So, I'm from someplace where we eat this:

From OmNom


But I moved to Memphis when I was 4. All of my family is essentially Cajun or Creole... You could say that food is a big deal. Everyone in my family cooks. When I was in middle school, my family watched a lot of international tv and movies, mostly due to my sister's influence. The biggest influence to me food-wise was probably the food gangster from Tampopo.

From OmNom


A paragon of beauty and excellence.


I already had an interest in Asia. My sister and I watched a lot of kungfu movies and anime growing up. The local Japanese restaurant, Edo, served up some pretty spectacular sushi. Especially their crunchy shrimp and louisiana rolls:

From OmNom


And, our favorite chinese restaurant, Asian Palace, served what they called "Roast Pork with Wonton Noodle Soup". I learned later that this is basically "Wonton mien". Forgive the poor quality. This picture was taken several years ago with a much crappier digital camera.

From OmNom


Memphis has a lot of excellent food. I like to eat well. Eating delicious food all my life has been a goal since a young age. Eating yummy food led to cooking yummy food. My dad always said, "there are those who eat to live, but we're not those people."

No comments:

Post a Comment